A Beautiful Day for a Run to the Kingston Peninsula

It didn't take long for Vic D. to send along proof of a perfect day. And more photos have been added taken by Pat S. and Ellie B. Good stuff!


Bob E's report:
Sitting on the side of the road waiting for other FABACians to gather me up was becoming old hat. It was yet another run south along the river and I was again, swatting at mosquitoes as I waited in the morning sun. For once I'd timed it right and only had to wait a couple of minutes before a gaggle of LBCs thundered across the Burton Bridge. Even though it was a Saturday, the spectacular weather had roused seven couples to brave the series of ferries, bad roads, and not a few moose to make a trip to Kingston to have brunch at the Kingston Market.
Several folks had displayed a complete lack of good sense and put me in charge of leading the group. I drove with a map close at hand which did me little good since I couldn't read it without my reading glasses and couldn't drive with them on. I found that by holding the map at arms length and squinting I could kind of make the roads out. Thankfully, the first part of the trip was a no brainer. We stopped at the S***l station just past Jemseg and I did my best to commit our route to memory. On the road again, we headed along the trusty old 102.
The weather couldn't have been better. It was the kind of day we all hope summer is full of, but rarely is. The roads should have been full of tourists and sight-see'ers. Instead we saw the occasional farm truck or small group of motorcyclists. Otherwise, the roads where ours. We took the Evandale ferry across the river, spent a few minutes on a highway then took another ferry to the Kingston Peninsula. Here we encountered twisty roads and tree lined valleys. The scenery could only have been better if the drivers could have spent more time ogling it instead of watching the roads.
We entered Kingston shortly before 1:00 and only a kilometre from the market, I made a wrong turn in an attempt to get us lost just short of our destination. Thankfully, those following were smarter than I and continued straight to the market which was just around the next bend. Having lost my place in the lead, I took up the rear.
We'd arrived close to closing time but found that food was still available. We all had a late breakfast and languished over coffee. By the time we finished and went outside to do some
market stuff, the market had been replaced by an empty field and an even emptier parking lot.

No one could agree on where to go next so we split into two groups. One went south to take a ferry to Saint John for shopping and visiting. The other group headed West along the peninsula. The westward group was rewarded with even better roads and yet more beautiful scenery. We bore on through the afternoon to the Westfield ferry. On the other side we were waylaid by several large ice cream cones which we dripped all over each others cars. The group split yet again with three folks heading up the dull boring highway 7. I held up the good name of the club and took the 102 back north. After crossing the Nerapis marsh I encountered exactly zero cars until reaching Gagetown. The day had been spectacular under blue cloudless skies over twisty scenic roads. As I pulled into the driveway, I did a quick mental calculation of the days mileage. I'd gotten 243 smiles per litre of high test. This had to be a personal best.

But next time we do this, we'll leave earlier.

****Due to the imminent passing of American style copyright laws, all corporate names have been removed. Don't like it?! Write your MLA and demand he kill the Draconian bill C-61.

- Bob E.

No comments: