Letter to Robbie and Nettie (re Oktoberfest Run)

Dear Robbie and Nettie,

How's life in Fort McMoney? How was the trip to bring the new E-Type home? Have you two made enough to come back to civilization yet?

I'll bet you've got your woolies and toques and arctic mitts ready don't you. Back here the weather has been great—except when we want to go somewhere as a club. The rain and cold has coincided with our run schedule. This Sunday was no exception. Jim B had arranged for our annual (and highly anticipated) Oktoberfest to John Gyles restaurant near Woodstock. While Saturday was clear and sunny, Sunday dawned, true to form, rainy and cold. It didn't improve either. I was pleasantly surprised at the reasonably large group that showed up to stand in the drizzle at the meeting point. Most even had their LBCs despite leak prone tops and minimal heaters.

The drive to the restaurant was (from my perspective) interminable. The rain continued unabated and got fairly heavy at times. Dianne had to keep a towel on her lap to catch drips from the windscreen and lean a bit towards the centre of the car due to drafts carrying more raindrops through the ill-fitting window/window frame interface. The only bright point was the when we picked up more folks along the route. As we (finally!) pulled into the parking lot at the restaurant the rain seemed to have slowed down a good bit. I took the opportunity to congratulate David on the his new Morgan motor (now sporting *gasp* air cleaners!)

A few more couples arrived hot on our heels, filling the place. It had turned into a very well attended event that was only just hitting it's stride. Robert was prodded to fill us in on his new Traction Avant and he promised—absolutely promised!, to bring it to the meeting this Wednesday. John B held a quiz with the prize being a recent issue of a vintage car magazine. This was lively and hotly contested. I'm ashamed to admit that I blew the only Jag question.

You remember how good the food was so I won't bore you with any descriptions. It's probably a good thing that it's so far away otherwise I'd be in trouble. They also had a huge desert selection all centred around various types of chocolate cake. It was still light when we broke up and headed home. It had also (surprisingly!) stopped raining which made me opt for one of my favourite roads, the 105 heading into Freddy. I don't know who else followed me since my attention was riveted straight ahead. I encountered several deer on the sides of the roads and slowed considerably while passing them.

We figure that this will be the last run for the club. I'll be watching the skies closely as I'd really like to do at least one more good blast before winter.

Write soon and send some shots of your car in the garage at home.

All the best from Bob E.
...and by the way, what's happening with the other E-Type?

(Check out some nice photos from Herb W. here.)

No comments: