More from Bob E.

       Those little connectors that incorporate an indicator light for the instruments can be a source of frustration.  I've found that the plastic insulator inside becomes brittle and falls apart along with the small round insulator-contact-er-thingy(?) on the end of the wire.  The round insulators have a slot and simply slide onto the connector. I made two types as I have a few of these to fix in the gauges.   The green one was made from a corner of an old circuit board.  The boards are a resin impregnated fiberglass that is stiff, rugged and very long lasting.  I made another one from a small sheet of nylon. This has the same properties, but has the advantage of my having a bunch of it. A small modelling saw and needle files make quick work of making these.  I had to replace several springs as they had corroded and broken into a few pieces.  This is where being a pack rat pays off.  I also applied a blob of solder to the end of the contact.  As with anything electrical, a small amount of DC-4 will keep the corrosion at bay.
   Rob E.




No comments: