Some fascinating stuff from Phil O.

I came across this video this morning and just had to send it on.  As usual with Top Gear, it is a hoot in places.  I’ve attached several photos of the Peel 50 car.  Neat!!!   It might be of interest of several people that it was built on the Isle of Man in the early 1960s. http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/tiny-apeel 











Do you remember Stan Mott of Road & Track and the famous Cyclops from the late 1950s?  I think that this pic is of the much improved Cyclops II.  Perhaps the Peel folks used to read R & T?

4 comments:

David Nielsen said...

I wonder if there is enough room for your aluminum block V8! I remember the Peel and the Cyclops. How many of you remember the Berkeley? It was a tiny sports car that I had my eye on before the AH Sprite came along. These I admired when I was 16 because they were cheap. Soon after, I started drooling over a car celebrating its 50th anniversary. Ended up with two that just celebrated their 100th anniversary.

Anonymous said...

One of the very few existing Peel 50s is in the Heritage Museum in the town of Peel, Isle of Man. I've actually sat in but not driven it.

Stripped of things like crash bumpers, airbags and other safety features, the Peel 50 was very basic transportation for city driving only.
John B.

Anonymous said...

Dave, in 2008 Grassroots Motorsports Magazine built a 1958 Berkeley for their $2008 Challenge Race. They transplanted a 150 HP Suzuki motorcycle engine into it and called it a "Berzerkeley". Must have been a bit quicker than the original 30 something horsepower motorcycle engine.
Phil

David Nielsen said...

Very interesting, Phil. I had never heard of it, but then there is someone out there putting a bigger engine in just about everything. :-)