Maritime Motorsport History 1967-1974 by Herb Walsh

I came to Fredericton in 1961 to attend University at UNB and pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I had always had an interest in cars and joined the UNBSCC (University of New Brunswick Sports Car Club) which was very active in rallying, slaloms and ice racing. During my UNB days I drove a VW bug which, while not a sports car, did well in slaloms and ice racing (not car to car racing but time trials on Killarny Lake on a road type course ploughed on the lake surface.
After graduation in 1964, we moved to the U.S. for extended instrumentation and controls training with the company I joined.  On completion of that training I was moved to Toronto, where at every opportunity I attended F-1 and Can-Am races at Mosport.
After the formation of the consulting engineering firm of Neill and Gunter in 1964, I was offered a position and moved back to Fredericton in 1966. I again rejoined UNBSCC and as interest grew in circuit racing at the various CASC (Canadian Automobile Sports Clubs) in the maritime region, arrangements were made with the CASC Quebec region to run a race driving school at the old WW II base at Scoudouc near Moncton. Participating in the school were drivers from CASC clubs in Halifax, Saint John, Moncton and Fredericton. We had three instructors from the Quebec Region, with the passage of time and poor records from two of the “old timers” I contacted seeking information, I can recall only two. Roger Peart,  who I have maintained contact with over the years and John Sambrooke who moved from racing to forming the Opimian society specializing in the importation of fine wines for its members. Roger, an engineer, stayed involved in racing, designing the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal and President of FIA Canada. Roger can be seen each year after the Canadian Grand Prix, presenting the third place trophy.

I participated in the school in my 1967 Plymouth Barracuda, donating a complete new set of tires to the Scoudouc course. I can still recall 44 years later, the excitement of driving at a rate that before, I had not experienced and as well in close proximity to the other competitors.
For the seven years after the race driving school I competed in the Atlantic Region, Quebec and Ontario. Initially in my street Barracuda, a Fiat 124 Sports Coupe, a Canada Class open wheel race car, powered by a Ford Anglia engine. For those not familiar this class was a pre-runner to Formula Vee in size and performance. The car I used was originally owned by John Gillanders who for many years after his racing was a very colorful starter of all the major races at St. Jovite. He passed the Canada Class on to his son Steve who was in the Canadian military at Gagetown. Steve was  transferred to Germany and left the Canada Class for me to rebuild and race. I raced it a few times, but was plagued by oil leaks and mechanical problems for which there were no standard parts available.
Helen and I travelled to Mosport to attend a race in the early
Mini on York St at "my racing oil sponsor"
fall of 1969 and we stopped at the BLM dealership of Bob Barrel to take a look at his 1967 Group 2 race prepared Cooper ‘S’, which he had for sale. Bob had just completed the season at St. Jovite, winning the title in this car. I just had to have this car! (See attached photos). On the way back from Mosport, we again stopped and purchased the “Big Bad Green” Cooper ‘S’, leaving Montreal at 9 pm with the Cooper ‘S’ on its trailer c/w spare parts, rain tires, wheels etc…….being towed by my Fiat 124 Sports Coupe!!! No question an overload for the Fiat, but that was what I had as a tow vehicle. An overnight trip where max speed was 55 mph on the level and much slower uphill!! The most unbelievable thing is…..Helen and I are still together!!
Mini at Debert
Decided to take a vacation day after getting home to Fredericton and couldn’t wait to try out the Cooper ‘S’. So…. Still sleepy in the late afternoon towed to Gorham’s stock car track on the North side, off Brookside Drive. Accompanied by a couple of motorsport friends, I believe Steve Landry and Peter McNutt, ran a few laps of the oval which we timed and even running a “new to me” car, bettered the best stock car times by a couple of seconds. Couldn’t wait for the first event at Debert, which would be the seasons last in the Atlantic Region for 1969.
The following is a scan of an article written by Orest Ulan in the March 1970 issue of the Canadian Motorsport magazine, Track and Traffic. The start of Mini racing in the Atlantic Region.

Along with Dave Fram and Don Hogan (Don passed away several years ago losing a battle with cancer) we raced the Minis with great vigor in the Atlantic Region and beyond.
I was the feature of a racing accident in July of 1971 when, during practice before an Endurance race I had entered with Bob Giannou of Newfoundland, I had the mounting strap for the Cooper’s gas tank fail. This allowed the tank to pull the filling tube though the bodywork and dumping about a half tank of gas into the trunk area. This happened through turn 9 and 10 at Debert, which is a high speed chicane leading onto the pit straight. I was unaware of this happening until braking for turn 1 from close to 90mph, when a flow of burning gas entered the driving area.  I fortunately stopped off track outside turn 1, unbuckled and rolled though the burning gas very close to the marshal station which dumped a fire extinguisher over me and the rear quarter of the Mini. I sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my face and one hand, saved from more serious burns by Nomex suit and underwear. Although I don’t recall, my driving school training obviously stuck and I did not inhale any burning gas, which is the reason I can now tell this story. This was the start of my beard which grew during the recovery and I still have.
I ended my Cooper ‘S” racing at the
At Mosport CRRC
Canadian Road Race of Champions at Mosport in October of 1972, qualifying 4th in a field of 30+ cars and finishing in the same position. Some photos attached.
Although my current motorsport activities are much milder with the Miata, I believe my past Mini Cooper ‘S’ racing qualifies my membership in F.A.B.A.C.
Thing do come full circle, the first Clerk of the Course to sign my race license record at Debert in September 1968 was our member John Bowles!!

At Mosport CRRC

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done!! I am so glad that you took the time to record this and tell us your very interesting younger experiences in the field of racing. Not many of us have ever contemplated doing this. In 1972, I was working with Peter Hunt who also had done some racing and volunteered at the race track - and on one occasion I also assisted at the track in Pennfield. I was not willing to put my new MGB to the abuse and expense of wear and tear of racing - basically I just couldn't afford it. But I did enjoy the race, and I cherished my shiny new B. And I enjoy the car related stories of others.
- Curry A.

Anonymous said...

Herb:

Great recall of your earlier racing days. We are all happy you didn't inhale that gas.

Stephen

Anonymous said...

I too am so glad Herb has committed pen to paper to record his sports car racing history complete with pictures and newspaper clippings. These recollections are all too frequently unrecorded and therefore lost.

I have something to add to Herb's story. During the late 50' and early 60s I raced in Ontario a Triumph TR3, then an AC Ace-Bristol, then a Jag E-type and finally an Austin-Cooper 1275 Mini.
The latter was nowhere near as fast as Herb's but I was in a different class which was being actively promoted at the time - strictly production. I also was very active in CASC (The federation of Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs.)

In 1967 I moved to Fredericton to start a new job in public relations and was also named a CASC director for Atlantic Canada. This included checking on the track behavior of the race car drivers as Clerk of the Course.

Herb's behavior was, as I recall, always impeccable. But then he was always out in front!!

John B.

Jim B. said...

Herb,
Enjoyed your very interesting racing narrative and nice to have you and Helen in the FABAC club.
Jim B.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful history and so close to home. Many thanks for sharing it with us. Hmmmm... perhaps with you and John having all this rally experience maybe there's some creative opportunity to do a small rally of sorts with the club? Just an idea though!

Again many thanks for sharing it.

Gary

Anonymous said...

Great storey Herb. You have quite a pedigree.
I remember navigating for a friend a few times in the late 60s on UNBSCC winter rallies. I recall that it was a pretty active group.
Dwight

Anonymous said...

Herb, very much enjoyed your recollections. I can still remember the 2002 passing you on the straights at Debert, and you returning the favor in the corners......what great times, the heyday of racing around here. In those days, I helped Vic S. with his McNamara F Vee there. I recall being on vacation in CB, and driving to AMP for the first race, only to find the paving wasn't finished or cured....returned the next week to see Bill Brack put two laps on the entire F Atlantic field IN THE RAIN !!!
JR Truro