Maybe a fix. Time will tell.

I was at the Windsor Show this past weekend lamenting a recurring sticky valve on my MGA 1600 when David N.  pipes up with the sure fire solution.  It is a product put out by Wynn’s called V.I.C.— Valve, Injectors and Combustion chamber cleaner.  Touted to be the cats meow for all that ails you.  A little bit hard to find as it is not over the shelf at Canadian Tire and is only sold to garages, dealers and the like.  With a little bit of stealth and prying I find a garage in town that will sell me a bottle with out all the extra bits that are used to attach the bottle to the fuel injector lines of the new fangled engines.  So I pay the $xx.xx  price* for a bottle and  when I explained to the “old school” mechanic  what I was doing and he confirmed the methodology  and added a couple tips on how to achieve the results I wanted.

Get the engine up to temperature and with the engine running  spray the VIC into the intake manifold and flood out the engine until it stalls.  Wait 10 minutes, start it up and rev the daylights out of it to blow all the carbon buildup out the tailpipe.  Repeat as needed.  So what could be easier??   All goes to plan on the first pass and wow, what a pile of black smoke and crap  came out.  I did it again and this time the tailpipe was pretty well normal.  I did the same thing on the front Intake manifold and same results.  A quick test run around the block and I could feel a significant difference in  power and performance.  I had acceleration in fourth gear up a hill.  I am totally impressed by this stuff.  Wynn’s V.I.C..  Time and a couple cold starts will tell if this has helped the sticking valve.

PS * The price is xxxx out in case Karen somehow sees this article.  There are some things not worth explaining.  And I have to add that  after I paid for the bottle the mechanic told me that pretty much the same results could be achieved by simply spraying cold water in the intake manifold until the engine stalls.  He explained that the cold water on the hot valves crystallizes the carbon and it flakes off.  That was the way they always did it in “the good old days”.

Ralph Holyoke
1961 MGA 1600
1966 Jaguar S Type street rod

No comments: