Sunday's Run: The Jag boys and a Moggie

       SWMBO had been very firm, I couldn't go out and play with my friends until my room was clean. I spent the day sweeping, vacuuming, washing, putting stuff away and even scrubbing up all the cat barf from under the furniture.  Satisfied with the results, she sent me on my way.   Pushing my toy out of the garage I cranked er over and quickly headed upriver.  As she warmed up I performed my 'post take-off check'.....gas, enough....temperature, climbing to normal operating temp....oil pressure, good.... although that was speculative since the senders and gauges are known to be as much as 30% off meaning that the 30 pounds I was seeing could conceivably be anywhere from an insufficient three pounds to a seal blowing fifty.  She'd run this way for decades so I wasn't worried and continued...voltage,14 and a bit ...squeeky-creak from the front right suspension, check...rattle from the windscreen tension bar, check.... clatter from the throttle linkage rods, check, mysterious "clunk!" from the differential area, check....blueish smoky haze from the rear under hard acceleration, check.    All was normal.
      At the meeting place by the dam the three of us pulled in close behind one another and with a minimum of chit-chat, hit the road.  It was a short drive up the 102 to highway 3 where we settled into a brisk (but still legal) pace under cloudless and hot skies.   Arriving in St Andrews we began a game of find three parking spots together.  Tired of driving up and down the main street I just parked in the first spot I found.   It only took us a few minutes to decide on the Gables restaurant and sat down a micro second before the dinner rush.  The view was gorgeous with the ebbing tide and the ocean breeze was quite welcome. After an enjoyable dinner we grabbed ice cream cones and wandered out to the wharf.
      By now it was around eight and we headed back into the slowly setting sun.  As enjoyable as the drive out had been, the trip back to Freddy was a treat.  The temperature stayed comfortably warm and the early evening sky was magnificent.  The long shadows over the fields made it hard to keep my eyes on the road.  Eventually, the Moggie took the curve on highway three while the Jag boys broke off onto Hanwell Rd.  Passing through the city we finally parted company with much horn-blowing and arm-waving.  Alone, I got to enjoy a most pleasant early twilight as it faded.  The last rays disappeared about the time I pulled into my driveway.
     Bob E.

(Click on any photo for a larger version.)





No comments: