David N's report on his drive home in Joe's E-Type

     A few days ago, Joe offered me a seat in his beautiful E-Type if his wife Pat was unable to join in the Carter House run. Since both the Morgan SS and the TR6 were enjoying a rest, (so to speak) I jumped at the opportunity. Who would know at the time that I would be driving the E-Type all the way home!
     I should preface this with the fact that in 1969 I had my two Morgans for sale (for $4000 total!) with the plan of buying a brand new 1969 E-Type 2+2 coupe in gun-metal blue when Carolyn and I went to Europe on our honeymoon. No one wanted either of the Morgans so I kept them and never got the Jag. (The Morgans are worth a bit more now!!!!!!) So, Joe has my dream car. Here are my reactions to my drive:
1) Just how wonderful for Joe to entrust his Big Blue to my driving!
2) It fits! My 6'2" frame easily slipped in behind the wheel and no seat adjustments were necessary. Joe suggested adjusting the steering wheel out a bit which really helped. I had lots of leg room and lots of head room.
3) Joe's E-type is a glorious ride! It never twitched or got squirrely—never pulled right or left, but moved with precision to my every command. Steering was precise; engine was responsive; brakes were positive; the sound was glorious (especially after I skillfully detached the muffler from its mount!)
4) What really impressed me was how refined the ride was. The seats were comfortable and there was a wonderful sense of security and class about the interior. A fine vehicle!
5) For those of you who may not know the story, Joe bought this car dismantled! He never had the opportunity to learn about it by disassembling it! Over very few years, he has had his hands on just about every part of the car. He has restored upholstery, stripped, sanded buffed and polished, assembled, and somehow found every part he needed and how to put it all together. Sure, he had some help from the Travelling road crew of increasing fame, but I must take my hat off to Joe and his range of skills. I am impressed.
6) When I drove into Joe's garage I was depressed. Not because the drive was over but that Joe had cleaned and painted the complete interior of his garage. It is beautiful—mine is a MESS! Now I have been inspired (shamed) into getting started on cleaning up my garage. You know the routine: What to keep? What to sell? What to trash?

The Carter House run was perfect—just tell me how it could have been better! Thanks to John and Shirley Ann for making it happen, and thanks to Joe for the "frosting on the cake".
- David

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice of Joe to let those you have broken down drive his car, wondering if this is precedent setting??
2CV Bob

Anonymous said...

It's an underhanded way to influence others into getting E-Types. If you do get one you get a free maintenance manual and a Jag phone.
Bob E.

David Nielsen said...

Bob, do you really mean "If I get one" or "When I get one"?
;-)

Anonymous said...

WHEN.
Like the Borg collective, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile.