Saint John Tall Ships Tour

     While only five cars ventured to Saint John to take in the Tall Ships we were all rewarded with a wonderful day. The weather in my view was absolutely perfect for viewing the ships. Yes there was a bit of cloud and yes there was a bit of fog but the sea breeze and smell of the salt air was the perfect back drop for viewing the ships. The ships, all 11, from Brigantines to large schooners were all a delight to see. Just seeing all the rigging and sails on all these ships attests to the complexity of these amazing wind driven vessels and to the competent men and women who crew them. David R. a sailor himself would be better suited to describe the types of ships and their lines than the landlubber I am.

      After touring the ships we headed to Steamers Co. restaurant conveniently located just across the street from the displayed ships. I can only speak for myself but my Fish/Chip dinner was delicious.

      We all went our separate ways after lunch but Barb and I returned later to watch the full parade of tall ships as they exited the harbour. A truly beautiful site to see these masters of the seas parade through the harbour just as the sun was breaking through the fog highlighting the hulls and masts of these ships. This all happening as the harbour fire fighting ship pumped water hundreds of feet into the air making all of this a truly spectacular sight. The end of a perfect day!

   Gary
Photos by Stephen W.


Click on any photo for larger view.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great report on CBC this morning. I was in SJ for the previous visit. Awe inspiring, though not for one minute would I want to sail on these ships. Johanna (landlubber to my soul)

Anonymous said...

Looks like an excellent day. Wish we could have been there. Spent a week on one of the Maine schooner fleet several years ago and would do it again in a minute if I could convince Pam to go again.
Phil