Report on FABAC's 1st Run of the Season by Bob E.

 Interesting technical note about the E-Type's fuel system. Because the fuel pickup is in a small sump in the lowest part of the tank, when one runs out of fuel, that's it--there is no more.  

  Our first run of the season started under warmish clear skies as ten cars headed down the 102 towards Saint John. It gradually clouded over a bit as we entered the city and cooled off, but for once I didn't get us lost and we all arrived at Ralph's place where we were met by several folks from FABAC (Fundy Area British Automobile Club).

After a bit of chit-chat (mostly arguing about whose city got the most snow) FABAC led the 'other' FABAC group out to Rothesay for lunch at Vito's.   The afternoon was well spent eating and talking. We finally bid the FABACians farewell and, led by Jim Woodford now, headed East to Hampstead where (I was promised) we could stop for fuel. The expected fuel stop was closed so we continued on for "only another ten minutes" (I was promised) towards another gas station.  My gauge had been critical since the first non-fuel stop and I had declared 'Bingo' fuel to Jim who being a pilot, would understand the proximity of a flameout.  As we headed through the scenic hills the expected happened.  The mighty Jag stopped. There was no cough or sputter, it just got quiet and I coasted to the side of the road.

  Heather and Vic had the misfortune of being behind me and I (as nicely as I could) asked them if they would bring me some gas from the station that was "just around the corner". 
 As they headed off with everyone else I went to the few houses along the rural road.  As luck would have it, a very helpful (and understanding) gentleman out mowing his lawn was only too happy to sell me the 15 litres of gas in his gas can.  Returning to the car, I found Nettie and Robert there waiting for me.  I'd urged them to go with the rest but was still glad they'd stayed. As I poured the contents of the gas can into my tank I saw the flash of a camera. THAT was why they'd stayed!  I'd have a hard time living THIS down!

  I felt much better with some gas in the car and we headed off in pursuit of the others 'just around the corner'. As we drove along I realized that I had no clue where we were, apart from still being in New Brunswick.  I played it safe and stayed straight on the un-named road heading...somewhere.  I kept hoping I'd see Heather and Vic coming down the road towards me, but Km after Km passed with no sign of the group.  Now totally lost, we stopped for directions.  The stop proved to be a blessing in disguise as the person we asked for direction also had a ratty 67 Alfa Romeo Twin Cam convertible for sale.  Robert spent a few minutes looking it over and jotted down an address and phone number. The directions did us little good as I still managed to take a few wrong turns.  We stopped at a gas station where I bought a (much needed) map and got our bearings.  Now 'found' (as opposed to being lost) we drove to highway ten and made a quick drive to McCready's where I treated Nettie and Robert to some world-class pie and tea.

  I won't make the mistake of neglecting to bring a cellphone or map again, and I sure as heck won't push my luck with 'gas gauge bingo' anymore.  

- Bob E.

(Click here for photos from Stephen W.)

2 comments:

Vic said...

For Sale:

One Very High Quality 'WEDCO' Gas Container - UL Listed, 9.4 Liters
Used only once.

$12.95 plus tax

Anonymous said...

Now I wonder...
do I need a lead additive for his car or not?
Heck he's out of gas - would it really matter?