The Great Cycle Challenge


Isaac is my 8-year-old superhero for the “Great Cycle Challenge – Canada” in which I have challenged myself to ride 500 km in the month of August, and raise $500. I (because I love challenges) have also committed to match any dollars raised, so if I raise more with your help, I have to ride more. A win-win for children like Isaac.
It is a real privilege and honour to ride for him. Seven years ago, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and through the benefits of research and excellent medical care, I am here today able and excited to pay it forward through raising funds for research and treatment for children’s cancers at the Sick Children’s Hospital. I chose to ride for Isaac.
Born on May 29, 2012, he was 7 years old when he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on April 16, 2019. The onset was sudden: one day he had a rash on his arm, the next day – a big blotch under his eye. His father took him to the Oromocto Hospital, where bloodwork was done. He was sent on to the Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital, Fredericton and within an hour of investigation, was transferred to the IWK Children’s Hospital in Halifax.
During Isaac’s first surgery, they inserted a Porto Cath, through which he had chemo several times a week. Every two weeks, he had a lumbar puncture. The first 29 days put his cancer into remission. The second 29 days maintained him in remission. The third set of treatments maintains him. But he still has to have a lumbar puncture every three months.
You see why he is my superhero? He has missed a lot of school, but he loves cats, riding his bike, swimming, X-box, watching You Tube videos, AND McDonald French fries! He would love to get a dirt bike. He’s a regular kid, but a superhero kid. Let’s support him. 

Thank you, 
Johanna 

To Donate: go to www.greatcyclechallenge.ca
Enter my name (Johanna Bertin) at “Find a Participant”. Donate, and you will
receive a tax receipt for donations of $20 or more.
Or email me at:
jbertin@xplornet.com, message me on fb, or stop me when you see me.
NB. A note of apology to those who contributed last time. There was a glitch with the tax receipts, and they came out with the donor’s name and my address. Problematic to say the least. I told Sick Kids that I was embarrassed to approach my sponsors again, and they tell me that they have “corrected the problem”.
Photo and medical history of Isaac shared with permission of his father. 

No comments: