British Car Fuses Discussion From Tuesday Meetings

Click on fuse for larger view.
Per our Tuesday meetings we discussed the difficulty of getting the proper 17/35 amp slow blow glass fuses that are common to our LBCs.  I did a some research and many people just use the 15 amp fast blow common fuses.
 
I am restoring my 72 MGB and it requires 6 17/35 fuses and I had a few in my parts bin which were proper 17/35 with the Moss part number 146-700 and they were about 5 years old.  I needed more and the same part number Moss shipped 35 amp fast blow fuses which would destroy my wiring system if a problem occurred.
 
I did some research and the only part number I could find was  Littelfuse 313015.  It was difficult to find a supplier with this part number.  It is a slow blow fuse with 15 amp continuous and time current curves give failure at 4 sec/35 amp and 7 sec/30 amp.
 
The number 313015 now has extensions after the number of .MXP or HXP etc but looking at the data gives no differences in the parts.  The only Canadian supplier I could find was www.digikey.ca and I ordered a quantity of ten (313015.MXP).  The price landed at my door with shipping + taxes was $2.58 each.
 
This is an alternative to the hard to find 17/35 amp fuses.

 
Regards,  

Tim Ross

 

3 comments:

me said...

Excellent research Tim. I have a good collection from many years ago but was thinking about soldering modern fuses of the correct range to the ends of burnt out glass fuses.
Rob E.

Anonymous said...

I agree this is an excellent piece of research. Just happens I could use some myself so I will be placing an order. Thanks Tim.

Gary A

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know that Land Rover still supply these fuse from stock. Rovers North in Vermont sell 35 /17 part no. PLF177 at 79 cents us each. They also sell 25 /12, part no.PLF176 also 79 cents also.
Kelvin