Toyota Key Fob

 The information in this video wasn’t really a shock to me as I’ve already experienced it.  My Ford had its third birthday last summer and the Bluetooth and Sirius XM stopped working and a message appeared telling me the software needed updating.  Riverview Ford offered to do it for $150 to which my reply was “No thanks.”  I ignored it for a month or two until I got a recall notice for ac fix for the direct fuel injection system and took the car to Wood Motors.  They did the recall and updated my software at no charge.

I wasn’t too surprised reading that Toyota has made this move.   I expect that most manufactures will follow suit and start monetizing the features we’ve all gotten used to on modern cars.  Manufacturers probably already have installed what I would call “ransomware” in your car’s computers.  It will likely go beyond just your key fob and extend to Bluetooth, navigation and other conveniences such as heated seats.

 

Phil

 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43329/toyota-made-its-key-fob-remote-start-into-a-subscription-service

1 comment:

Joe Hine said...

This will drive a big industry by those more adept at computers than me that will engineer a hack into these things. Porsche has their own OBD reader that can only be used to turn some things back on (ask me how I know) This reader is 18K with a 12K annual subscription. There is presently a hack that is still buggy but works out of China. This will happen to all these other car companies that do this. Tesla was the first.

Joe