The Tour of Hope

Last year I asked for your support for my goal of raising money for the Princess Margaret Hospital Cancer Care Centre in Toronto. Together we raised close to $5000. I am back again, asking for your support. But this time, the focus is a New Brunswick cancer treatment centre – the Dr. Leon-Richard Oncology Centre in Moncton, at the Georges Dumont Hospital.

In 2014, funds raised by the Tour of Hope Campaign allowed the realization of many important projects, such as, the purchase of a tomosynthesis mammography system for the Breast Health Centre, the restoring of the chemotherapy treatment room, the improvement of telemedicine services for better remote care, and the purchase of a PhocusRx system for the Oncology Centre's satellite pharmacy.

When I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in March 2013, I expected that my life would change dramatically.  But I had not anticipated quite how that change would present itself.  In August 2013, while still undergoing chemo, I registered for the 2014 Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer in support of the Princess Margaret Hospital Cancer Care Centre, Toronto.  It was a HUGE goal, and one which I had no idea whether I would be able to reach.  But I would not have been satisfied with a small goal. I needed something big to work towards, something that was perhaps as much a challenge as the cancer. Three weeks after I finished chemo, I started training.

In June 2014, I completed the 213 km ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls. I wasn’t stiff or tired - I was simply elated. I looked for other goals and in August, rode the PEI Fondo and in September, the Fredericton Bike for Breath, in support of the NB Lung Association.

This year I  accepted an invitation to ride the Tour of Hope, a three day 650 km cycling route from Moncton to Tracadie-Sheila (day 1), Tracadie-Sheila to Campbelton (day2), and Campbelton – Edmunston (day 3).  For the simply amazing fact that I am healthy and able to do this I credit: my GP Dr Frances MacDougall, Fredericton; my surgeon Dr Carole Williams of the Dr. Leon-Richard Oncology Centre, Georges Dumont Hospital, Moncton; and Dr. Raza and staff of the Oncology Unit at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital, Fredericton. I am truly the product of multi hospital care in NB.

I am uncomfortable asking for money without giving something back. If you would like to invite me to talk about these events, or my belief that keeping active is in part why I have done so well, please call me.  My taking part in these fund raisers is my way of giving thanks for the wonderful care I received in my home province, and raising money so that others after me will benefit. I would love your support.

Thank you.

Johanna Bertin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               366-5289
*If you would like to donate, please go to www.tourespoir.com, click on “sponsor a participant”, enter my name, hit “sponsor” and follow the directions.  Donations of $10.00 CAD or greater will automatically receive an electronic tax receipt

No comments: