The Official Report on Wings & Wheels Run

I just wanted to say thanks to Joe H for finding this event for us and David N for leading the 8 cars that broke free of this bloody weather and braved some of the secondary roads of New Brunswick.

As David already said while the event itself was somewhat lackluster compared to last years event, it did provide us the opportunity to travel on some great back roads (yes they still exists), see some great scenery and best of all shared time, stories, chuckles with great friends. All to prove once again that sometimes it's not just about the final destination but rather the journey getting there the provides the most benefit and fun.

 Speaking of the journey, the road through Canterbury, Fosterville and into the states was truly a sports car treat. Not only was it in good shape but it had great windy turns, hills, valleys and some great lake scenery. This is a "must have to do again" road at some point. The border crossing was a non event but non the less a welcomed one for it provided most in our group the much needed bio break that caused most to high step it to the washrooms. Some even broke border crossing protocol and attempted to make a made dash to the washrooms while leaving their vehicle in the line up. A puzzling situation, I'm sure, for the US Border guards.

We proceeded to US Route 1, another good road, albeit not near the scenery wow and fun factor as the Canterbury to Fosterville section.

Unfortunately the weather, while not terrible, was overcast with low low cloud cover which impacted the air show portion of the event. So much so that the air show was cancelled. It also impacted the car show numbers and overall the event. In fact we became one of the main  "unscheduled" events and certainly had many visitors come over to chat with us. Kelvin had us well dressed up with our own FABAC banner. Thanks Kelvin! Our group was impressive enough that we received special mention at the event and were approached and requested to attend upcoming events in the area. How nice is that?  

All in all it was a very good day and what better way to get out and about.
  
 On a side note, I'd like to thank Dr Bleakney for his quick diagnosis and remedy to a continuing problem that I've been having with my TR6 for the last month or so. The engine had developed an intermittent miss that comes and goes sometimes serious and sometimes not. In pursuit of solving the problem I had changed the plugs, wires, distribution cap, coil, rotor button (at least 2-3 times) and yes even went back to the old contact ignition. So when it failed yet again just 5 minutes from leaving the Riverside Inn, I was more than a little frustrated and was prepared to terminate the trip for us right there........not to mention what I was contemplating to do with the blasted car!  That's when things were about to change for the better. After waving the group on and to proceed without us, Dr Bleakney and the always helpful and resourceful Kelvin pulled up alongside us. The Dr asked me to start the engine. I did but of course it just coughed, sputtered and shook violently. After a quick diagnostic evaluation, the Dr told me it was the rotor button. Wearing his distributor diagnostic stethoscope type of device around his neck and looking very much like a seasoned Physician, he stood firm in his diagnosis.  I told him that couldn't be the case as I had already exchanged it several times with no improvement. He insisted it was the rotor. I was not convinced it was but at this point I was willing to try anything. Luckily I had just received yet another shipment of new rotor buttons including one of the new upgraded "red" ones that were guaranteed to be of better quality than the previous "problemed" ones. Sure enough, the engine responded with a bright start up with an encouraging constant RPM with no misses that continued for the entire trip. Many thanks Doc, I'll never question your expert and experienced advice and neither will my temperamental TR6 which has finally met its match in solving this long and persistent problem.

 Oh yes, I would also like to thank David R for bringing his grandson Colin. We enjoyed his company and hope Colin enjoyed the trip.

 So all in all, a very nice trip.
  Best,
   Gary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My own journey to Wings & Wheels was not without its trials. To try and make transporting the ramps for the trailer a litle easier. I had mounted the ramps on the sides of the trailer, holding them in place with sliding bolts. This had worked well on my old trailer for 8 years so was expecting no problems.However I forgot that I had moved on from canadian quality to chinese cr*p and before I even reached Mataquac I found one of the ramps had come loose and had been rubbing away at the fibreglass bodywork. It turned out 2 of the 4 bolts had broken and I had to revert to good old cable ties for the rest of the journey.Estimate for repair $400.
However, a great time was had, with wonder friendship, loads of laughter and enough recounted stories and memories to write a book.Thanks David for lunch and thanks Gary and Barb for a luverly unexpected supper with even more fun and laughter thrown in for good measure.

Kelvin

David Nielsen said...

Re $400 repair: Ouch!