Pot Luck at the Alders' Home - Saturday July 19th

A wonderful report from Bob E:
(Photos have been updated to include those from Pat S, Margot R and Pat Strang)

It was a refreshing change to finally have some overcast skies with constant drizzle on Saturday for our Pot Luck get-together at the Alders. During the early afternoon as I was helping Curry put the boat in the water, it even rained for a while. The ugly weather brought a full two dozen FABACians out with the best from their respective kitchens. We spent an enjoyable afternoon under dark heavy clouds, sitting by the water chatting. Unfortunately it soon turned nice with the sun breaking out and the clouds dissipating. We responded to this unwelcome change in the weather by breaking out the water skis. I provided a few minutes entertainment by a letting myself be dragged across the water on my face. Not to be outdone, Gary and Curry took turns showing off their water ski skills by remaining upright as they zoomed around the lake, cutting arcs in the wake behind the boat.
We finally retired up to the balcony overlooking Kelly Creek for dinner. As is usual for our group, the food was spectacular. The conversation ran into the evening under darkening skies and we finally broke up as the clouds came back and a few raindrops were felt.
It was a relaxing afternoon with much fun and comradeship being shared. The food was, of course, an added bonus.
This would be the end of the article if not for my experience while driving home. I had one of those 'once-a-year-or-two' stirring drives. The kind of thing that makes owning an LBC so worthwhile. I headed onto the highway towards Freddy. Despite the heavy cloud cover and frequent rain drops, I'd put the top down. As I approached the city, the clouds began breaking up revealing a deep dark blue sky with streaks of red from the setting sun. A quick passage through the downtown to experience the smells, sights and sounds of a friendly and vibrant city's nightlife and I was on the Princess Margaret Bridge. The darkening sky was now streaked with clouds that took on the deep rich colours of the late twilight. Driving along the old Trans Canada following the river is always pleasant; tonight it was glorious. My only regret was that I was driving with the sunset at my back. I found myself constantly looking over my shoulder or overhead to enjoy the view. While rounding the the roads frequent curves, the day treated me to a startling parting gift...a rising full moon in brilliant orange!
Between watching the magnificent moon, and glancing back at the darkening sunset, I was hard pressed to pay attention to my driving. The XK motor made a lovely purr and the curvy sculpted bonnet reflected the moon and stars. The temperature was still balmy and I wanted to drive on all night.
It was truly an inspiring ending to what had been a terrific day.

Click on the photo below for photos from Pat S. and Margot R. and Pat Strang.

No comments: