Bob E's plan to travel by Ferry on Friday

      I'll be taking the ferry from St John to Digby on Friday and Sunday. It leaves St John at noon and arrives in Digby around 3:00 in the afternoon.  It's a leasurely two hour drive along the shore to Windsor from there. This will put one at the show grounds in plenty of time for the evening's meet and greet.  On Sunday the ferry is less convenient, leaving Digby at 4:00 PM.  The cost for a two way ticket with one car and two passengers is...wait for it...(gulp!) $340! However I personally don't mind the cost since I figure it will save me $150 worth of gas, and I just like ferry travel.  We can pretend we're on the Dover to Calais ferry and if a Mini joins us it'll be an 'Italian Job' recreation. You should book a reservation at
1-877-635-7245
      I'll be leaving my place in Burton at 9:00 AM and taking the 102 down to St John. Folks wishing to join me should call me at 357-1183 to arrange a rendevous. Anyone who arrives at my place before 9:00 will be fed breakfast.  So far, the weather looks fine.
 Bob E.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your (gulp) with Ferry prices. Brenda and I just priced a trip to Newfoundland, including the return ferry trip from Sydney to Argentia, which alone was over $1400. Me thinks we are going to PEI instead!!

Dennis.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dennis: I think your N. Sydney-Argentia costs are of a bit. I did the trip on the motorcycle, going from N. Sydney to Port aux Basques and returning via Argentia. Including a dormitory sleeper one way (I'm cheap) and a cabin the other, my total was in the $400.00 range. An extra person and a car instead of a bike might add about $250.00. Great trip, 14 days, including working with Targa Newfoundland for 5 days!
Phil O

Anonymous said...

Now we have the folks wondering, so here is the breakdown, Phil, effective July 7/11 (up 4% on that date).

Per person - $100.33
Per auto - $244.63
Per cabin for 2 - $177.98

for a total of $623.27, each way, for a grand total of $1246.54. (A little less than I had stated, because HST is included in the prices, but the rate sheet does not tell you that.)

Taking the ferry to Port Aux Basques, and coming back through Argentia would be $173.24 plus $623.27 for a total of $796.51. Still somewhat pricy.

Dennis.

Anonymous said...

what I was looking for, thanks

Anonymous said...

Dennis:
I stand corrected. I was calculating from memory as my motorcycle trip was in 2009. I took my time and explored Gros Morne, l'Anse aux Meadows and just about every side road and small village on the way to Saint John's and Argentia. Just added up what ferries would cost me today and the same trip in via Port aux Basques and out via Argentia would be $466.34. There's something to be said for traveling on two wheels and alone. :~)
Phil