1978 Spitfire project.

 Just thought I would share what progress I am making on my 1978 Spitfire project.  

The following pictures show the frame which has been treated for rust, primed and painted.  The attaching parts have also been scrubbed clean of rust, tar, grease and oil and have been sprayed with a liberal coating of black enamel.

Click photo for larger view.
Many new parts have been installed including bearings, seals, springs and all the usual steering and suspension consumables.  All of the brake parts have either been reconditioned or replaced.  The rims were also given the treatment and a new set of tires installed.

The task of redoing the brake, gas and vent lines is well underway.

With the frame almost complete there are only four more categories of work to be dealt with:

  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Body work
  • 10,000 Other Things Category

Tell me what you think and, by the way, if you have a service manual for a 1500 Spitfire and are willing to part with it, I am interested.

Chris D








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in learning what rust treatment you used. I've been a big fan of POR15 for many years but have just switched to something called Dom16.
Rob E.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

If there was an award for frame/suspension restoration I'm sure you would get first prize. Excellent job!

Best,

Gary