A near catastrophe at 70km/h

Yesterday around 2:15, I was on my way in my Morgan through Douglas into Fredericton to entertain at York Care Centre. The traffic was light in my direction and moderate coming out of Fredericton. It was not raining there at the time; the road was straight, and visibility was good. All of a sudden, a white pickup proceeds from one of those roadways coming up from the river side crossing directly in front of me to make a left turn. It was the first time in my memory that I had to slam on the brakes to avoid a messy metal on metal adventure. I heard my tires squeal and then, too little too late on his part, I heard his rear tires chirp as he tried to extricate himself from the situation he had caused. Had I not been alert, with excellent tires and good brakes, there would have been metal on metal and likely I would not be writing this. I can't imagine even at that low speed just how much damage could have been done to my body and an unbelievable amount of damage to the Morgan's aluminum fenders—and everything at the front of the car! UGH! Even though I would have hit his driver's side door, I expect I would be so low as to not hurt him. Analyzing the situation, I have to guess that he had checked my lane at some point but was then focussed on seeing a break in the line of traffic going up river. He just forgot to check my lane again. When he realized what he did, he may have filled his pants.

Drive safely!

- David


3 comments:

Anonymous said...


You are lucky to get stopped. Did you fil your pants??

Anonymous said...

Glad you are ok David. There seem to be a number of distracted drivers out there. I had someone try to pass me on Hwy 3, as I was turning left into my driveway. My signal light was on and I had braked at a good distance before the turn.
The driver hit the brakes hard and almost went into the ditch. Daft idiot.
Johanna

Anonymous said...

very pleased to know you and the Morgan remained unscathed. similar happened to us following the PEI weekend when somebody turned left and pulled across in front of us at an intersection. clutch and brakes in hard and came to a screeching four wheel lock sideways stop inches from his side.

good brakes good tyres and now good LED driving lights on with the ignition.

Ralph H